hese mittens took a long long long time to make. They're pretty though - however- they look prettier in the picture than they do in real life. The tale of these mittens is filled with disaster and (sort of) tragedy.
At first, they seemed fine. I liked making them and I thought they were pretty. Then, once I got to the main part of the hand (the part with the tall flowers), the knitting seemed to slow down. Really slow down. It seemed like I was knitting forever.... then I realised the chart was so small, I couldn't read it, which led to slower knitting. So I enlarged it, and all is good, right?
NO. They seemed way too big for their intended recipient. But, I kept knitting, hoping that they would be ok. Finally, I finished the first mitten. (It took about a month...) and I had a week to make the other one.
So, all was well. (kind of) and I kept knitting. Then, when I was mostly done, I realised that I had forgot to leave stitches open for the thumb. OOPS. Oh well, I thought. I'll just do an afterthought thumb) When I was done, and cut the thumb, I realised that I had cut the thumb in the wrong place. Or so I thought. I really had knit two left mittens. Well. After some thought, I just cut the thumb in the opposite side. It doesn't fit quite as well (no gusset) but oh well.
I gave them to her and she likes them, even though they are too big. She said I should enter them in the fair. :)
Maybe someday I will knit another pair and enter them!
(posted by Chloe)